Thursday, January 22, 2009

V is for Vernier

Early on in this challenge I was hunting around the house looking for things for my theme. I came across this tool in the garage and asked my husband what it was. When he told me it was called a vernier I got very excited. Something interesting to photograph for the letter V! A vernier by the way, is used for measuring things. It's a bit more complicated than a tape measure though! Did you get this one right Kookaburra????



Some comments on some comments:

Isabella. No I did not squish the snail afterwards!!

Kim. Yes, both pictures of roses feature the same rose.

Secretatlantis. I'd like to say I put the rose in water but I completely forgot. (see your comment on day 16).

8 comments:

  1. A different close up today, and a good choice for a V.
    I've never seen one, but they look a handy tool to.

    Re the snail...did you eat it then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad used to have a set of calipers, and I used to play with them like it was a dinosaur!

    Good picture, just enough of it in the frame to show us what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of this kind of thing but it sure looks neat in the photo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, and finally a really dirty piece you shot. Makes me feel less bad with my dusty macro shots :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A vernier caliper! I remember having to use this in high school, I think it was physics. Fabulous detail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of a vernier, but I do know caliper that the others have mentioned. You learn something new every day! Thank you for that. Lovely lighting and a great closeup. I wish you had blotted out those tiny distracting white spots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope, this one was new to me, but I am filing it away for later reference! I really like photos of mechanical things - I think it helps me appreciate the beauty in mundane objects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fascinating device - I love all the different textures

    ReplyDelete